Friday, July 8, 2011

Soccer

We signed Jason up to play soccer this summer!  Last weekend was the draft.  Mike took Jason, and I guess all of the kids from the league (or half of the kids) ran around so the coaches could get an idea on how to fairly break up the teams.  Well I guess Jason was a little intimidated because he never left Mike's side on the bench.  He said there were too many kids there.

Of course they put Jason on a team still.  He is on the Yellow Bananas, #54! Yesterday was the 1st practice, and I made sure to be there, so maybe he wouldn't be as scarred this time.  Nothing like a sappy, cheering Mom to make you feel great, right? While we were waiting for practice to start he ran around with all of the other kids kicking balls into the nets.  When they called for everyone to line up to stretch, I saw a look of panic in his face, so I showed him where to stand, and encouraged him a lot.  After a minute or two I could see he got comfortable, and started to LOVE soccer.  Then they broke off into their teams, and practiced.

He did so great! It made me so teary-eyed to see him so grown up and so happy, when he was just so scarred! He shot me a few thumbs ups, and an I love you with his hand! That's my boy!  His coach, Brian, is perfect with the kids too.  They stretched, played a name game, learned the lines of the field, passed and trapped the ball, raced, and practiced dribbling around a cone.  It was so darn cute.  They all lined up their water bottles and watching them all run together to take a water break was adorable too.  At the end of practice they all got their jersey (t-shirts).

Lexie was great!  Although she really wanted to play with the big kids, she didn't give us any trouble staying on the sidelines watching, and cheering on her big brother! We took them to Wegmans after to pick out some icecream cones to celebrate a great 1st practice!

I'll post pics of our little soccer star soon!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how quickly he's growing up! I was just looking at some of his baby pictures a few days ago. I'm so happy that he's enjoying soccer. I'm sure he'll be great at it, but more importantly I'm sure he'll love playing with other kids and making friends. I think you're such a good mom! Way to help your little guy grow :-)

    ReplyDelete